Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Killers - Sam's Town

Let's have a bit of background to this review, The Killers 'Hot Fuss' was something of a sleeper hit on original release not many picked up, although man of music and founder of '5pmusic' did Mr.Stringle, he gave it to me and it was a likeable, singalong listen and 80's sound was something slightly different at the time to other bands. It took the single 'Mr.Brightside' before the public took massive notice, almost like The Usual Suspects coming onto DVD, it proved more successful and the public loved it. 'Yeh, who needs NYC bands, we now have a Las Vegas who feel like they had a second coming in Manchester'.

After the first album which was generally great for the first 7 songs, then it began to fell apart from 'Glamourous Indie Rock n Roll' and they struggled to keep the tempo of what could of been a classic. For me, this built up an eagerness to listen to new stuff, not an exception as so many people little kids well have had yesterday. So I popped out on a Monday afternoon having to buy a bayonet cap bulb 40 volts and The Killers album. In between, I planned a quick read of all this month's magazines, 'Q', 'Empire' and 'When Saturday Comes' all got a flick through and then I realised I forgot to get some money, first shop had all 'holes in the wall' out of order and then a quick stop to the other branch whilst stopped by two Regent College biker dudes.

So, I finally get into Virgin and the bleeder is sold out! Sold Out! Cor blimey, it aint that good. I have never been to shop to see an empty shelf. So I walked across the Shires and then made my way to HMV, got in there, picked up a copy and who was just picking on up at the same time, James Wesolowski and Alan Sheehan of Leicester City I was starstruck, they was buying the same Cd has me. Bought it and came back home to met by my mother's Westlife CD.

'I best put this record on now'. First thing noticed was the casing, it's all circular, its a square case with rounded corners and then the cd has a print of a ram and its big horns? circuiting it.

So now then after several listens well what is the review, after that long background report. Well, the Killers have attempted a full-armed assault on making a 'serious' album, if the last one was a collection of throw-away singles, then this is an attempt on an album with substance. The album does remind of me of previous second album mistakes. It has great parts and bad parts.

It starts on Sam's Town, an indicator that they are aiming for a super-charged start. The musical arrangement is all good and well but an annoying lyrically chorus of ''I see London/I see Sam's Town x3''. So a comparison of a dirty, horrible Vegas casion to dear old blighty's captial or maybe its Flowers attempt at saying London is like a hometown in the idea of selling records. Although I feel Flowers is not clever enough or cynical enough to do that. Then we have a 'Enterlude', a particular quirk trying to replicate The Beatles's Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Heart Club, awful idea with a nice simple riff. It does the same with an 'Exitlude'. I could go on song by song, but I will now write about the highlights and disappointments.

Mr.Flowers voice has been heightened so much in production in sounds like the producer must have a 'Muse' love-in. 'Feck me I love Matt Bellamy, lets make an American version' Despite all these gripes there is some highlights 'Read My Mind' is probably lyrically the best they have done, its spot on and reminds me of New Order's '1963'. 'Bones' is good aswell with a nice synsh hook in the middle. ' For Reasons Unknown', does Flowers read Beckett?, is also reasonably a nice song same as 'This River Is Wild'.

'Uncle Jonny' lyrically is the Killers most personal song but its clunky and suffers from emotions over art. Overally, The Killers have too many quirks and ideas to fit in this album, at times it has the feel of a double album, just too much, rushed ideas simply to appease the fans and A&R men. I mentioned it has second album mistakes, I could address this album in two bands transitions, although The Killers dont have the same quality nor genius has the pair. Gang Of Four despite an anger towards love songs, always sounded better and done better when writing about the quirks of the opposite sex and the same applies for The Killers forgot personal stuff, write about love situation it sounds so much better. Then secondly J-Div/N.Order, it reminds me of a transition album, maybe this Killers 'transitional' album.

Bottom line, too many ideas compacked into an often 'OTT' album when sometimes it works and other times it does not.

Rating-6.95/10, its near to a seven but too many mistakes for a 7.
Listen to - 'Bones' and 'Read My Mind'
Avoid - 'Sam's Town' and 'Uncle Jonny'

Thank You, Harry Gregory, bugger that was hard work. Next week should be better for albums, Jeremy Warmsley, Milburn and The Blood Arm all have albums which are interesting propects, if anyone get hold of any copies, send them to me please, I dont want to spend more money.

No comments: