Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Dj Shadow's The Outsider




I like many who will no doubt contribute to this blog have long been fond of Shadow and his work. The Private Press did take a couple of listens to become palatable though looking back I'm not sure why. Regardless his work sits on the cinematic bench for the most part, most notably on the UNKLE Psyence Fiction album, which is an actuality just another Shadow album (WE'RE ON TO YOU JAMES LAVELLE YOU LITTLE BAND WAGON JUMPER!).

Last week however saw the release of his latest album, The Outsider. Shadow's been showcasing new tracks for the album for a few months at the few live shows he's done, and to be honest if it wasn't for the appearance of old school Shadow tracks at the gigs, they would have been toss. The vocal presence on the album eclipses all other releases with the instrumentals accounting for only a third of the album. And while some of the tunes with vocals had something new to Shadow's catalogue, there are a few choice stains on the record.

It's almost as if he's turned on Flaunt while flicking through his Sky channels before being hit and then finding it impossible to turn away. 3 Freaks, Turf Dancing, Keep 'Em Close and Dat's My Part resonate with none of Shadow's flair, instead coming across like so much shite commercial 'Hip Hop' that gets air time like it's going out of fashion.

I respect that peoples styles change. I respect the fact that he doesn't want to make Entroducing over and over again. But I can't help but feel that the albums missing something. This opinion could change in time, you may see another blog touching on this, and I am going to persist with it. But every time I make the decision to give it another chance, I can't help but feel like I shouldn't have to...

What did you think?

3 comments:

JamFactory said...

I'll let you know tommorow what I think...

I think I'm gonna hate it!

JamFactory said...

I've had my first listen...

And I didnt even get to the end!

It's just not Shadow! His hyphy music sounds like commercial-rap-toss and his attempt at his normal sort of style just sounds half-arsed, not a stand-out track on there!

A real real shame, what's happening man! Maybe Entroducing was his masterpiece and thats the way it should stay?

Xander said...

Not a big fan of the album either - i've read a few interesting articles/interviews with the man Davis and he'd said that he was really digging that kind of hip-hop at the moment (east coast something or other - lets call it MTV Crunk for safety) and he felt compelled to include it. Well you cant fault him - he did, but he left out the Shadow. I thought his album had been hijacked by some Hip-Hop hangers on, that grating genre hip-hop pish that you'll hear any daytime music channel.
The great thing about Shadow is that you can expect something completely different next album (If we're to believe the man himself) something that sounds finished and not a mixtape. Think you gave it a fair review and you're right - maybe it'll grow....